This is my blog log of things I think about, want to write about, but haven't had the time or place to do much with it all. I'm all about getting discussions going through comments/replies, and gettin' all deep and shiznit. Sometimes I just feel like posting a question, other times I gotta just let it all out and ramble... hopefully I'm not alone with it all.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

On Taoism and Reincarnation

Question (taken from the MySpace Taoism group discussion board): What do people think is the relationship between reincarnation and the Tao?

My answer: As was said, you believe it if you want to, and don't if you don't. I don't believe in reincarnation. I believe this body is what we have to show for our life and our "soul". That being said I don't really believe in a soul either, at least not beyond or detached/detachable from this body. So, IMO, when the body dies, everything else we are dies with it, except the memories people have of us. As for Taoism and reincarnation, it all depends on who you ask. If you ask me you'll get a "no", only because I see Taoism as a socio-political ideology and philosophy and medium by which we can live our life and survive to the best of our abilities in this life. Lao-tzu, the "originator", wasn't saying these things for the mystical purposes, but the socio-political purposes. Chuang-tzu took that line of thought, however, and made it mystical and into more of a religion than a philosophy. If you feel like you need the mystical and more "religious" elements of Taoism, then walk that road. But I feel more comfortable with the more original and stripped down version, which doesn't include reincarnation. Just my 2 cents tho...

And also, realize that philosophers have made some changes or evolutions in the Taoist thought over the centuries, so you can probably find whatever you're looking for if you look hard enough... but then I've always been the type to take what makes sense to me, and what I like, about any and all religions to make my own world view. I recommend others do the same... you'll be happier if you believe in only what makes sense to you, and not what a book says you should believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home